Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Growing into TKD

I was at a meeting for work yesterday and I ended up in a conversation with a fellow in his mid-50's that was explaining to me, for whatever reason, the virtues of staying active as we age. He indicated to me that he still runs regularly, hikes and backpacks with a heavy pack somewhat infrequently, and practices martial arts. That piqued my interests, but I didn't really ask anything about the martial arts initially because he was on a bit of a roll there on his soapbox of staying fit. Eventually, he got to the part where he encouraged me, which I knew was coming sooner or later, and he told me that based on my build, in his estimation, as I got older, I might find similar interests and enlightenment, and "who knows, I might even be drawn to the martial arts, like taekwondo," which is apparently "a good one" and what he practices.

I didn't say anything about it except that I thought it was neat that he did martial arts and that it was extra impressive at his age. He went on about it a couple of more times before the meeting commenced and our conversation died. I still didn't say anything about it, choosing to divert the conversation by focusing on his running instead. I guess, though, I have the good fortune of looking forward to growing into a phase in my life when taekwondo will be what I'm after.

In the meantime, I'll be practicing my YSB. This week's project, at least for the first half, will largely be the blocking strikes of the Lion System. Coming up with combination drills with them is quite a bit different in some ways than it was for the other striking methods. I figure that's part of their nature, though. Here's to exploring (in what time I have since my thesis advisor reinstalled "The Fear" deeply into me)!

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao