Saturday, January 3, 2009

Becoming the Rooster?

While I was practicing my lying step drills for a while today, someone came up and started watching me. After a bit, the woman said: "You look like a rooster." I took this, immediately, as a compliment on my technique and was excited to have heard it. Then it sank in how ridiculous that comment would be to someone who had no idea about Yin Style Bagua, and so I stopped what I was doing to ask her if she had meant her words the way I had taken them. Immediately, she clarified the situation by saying, "I wasn't saying it to be mean. I grew up on a farm, and that looks a lot like how roosters move." I was excited, to say the least. After all of these months of hard work on those techniques, someone accused me of looking like a rooster.

Other news in training has been, again, that it's not my dissertation, so it's been limited. What there has been has been focused almost entirely on the Lion hooking strikes for the week, doing various drills with them, some of which I thought were rather inspired though surely basic. This week is to follow up on last week's rather weak attempt at working the chopping strikes. The main thing I got out of last week's lesson was that it's a shame I didn't have more time to put into the chopping strikes because I think they're probably really effective. I'll address that later with my new-and-improved training regimen, to begin (and to be explained) once life gets back to "normal."

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao