Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Back to Drilling

Last night was great. Our group got together, and things went really well. I started to share some of the drills we did in London, which was an awesome intensive for being able to build solid curriculum for practitioners both new and old, and we were so excited by them that we used up almost our entire two hours working just on a couple of them. That's the kind of old-fashioned, hard, focused training that really seems to make a difference in terms of development.

Unfortunately, one of the drills we worked was a cutting-strikes drill, and thus I did point cutting and was unwilling to purposefully mess it up on my left to accommodate my angry wrist. On the up side, I know for sure that point cutting is the culprit that gave me tendinitis because for the first time in two weeks, despite use of the saber, it's worse today than it was yesterday. On the down side, it's worse today than it was yesterday by a fair margin (it's hard to do the dishes again... darn).

I think today I'm going to work on chopping because it seems to bother my wrist not at all (alone of the first four striking methods of the Lion System). That should be good.

1 comment:

John Moylan said...

Watch that wrist. Dr. Xia used to have a 60% rule. Only use 60% of your capacity for training. You do not have to give your training 110%, that's a Western thing. Reserve some energy, avoid injuries that are contra to your goals and don't eat into your yuan qi.

I'm speaking from experience. Respect your wrist and your back.

Great blog BTW. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao