Friday, July 4, 2008

The Six that Contain the Eight.

I've felt all eight forces now, and I could describe them in a fair amount of detail, though I feel the seizing and grasping tend to be slightly ambiguous where one stops and the other begins. After mentioning this research to a fellow much further along the path than I, I was applauded for my attention and effort and admonished to remember the six much more basic forces that are vastly more important: drilling out, pulling in, rolling out, wrapping back in, dropping the elbow, and relaxing the shoulder. Those came with the line "Lion is Lion," followed by "sweeping is sweeping," and then et cetera is et cetera. Point taken, and those forces have been a new, actually easier research focus for the Lion posture. Thus, in the Lion posture, we could say that there are the six that contain the eight.

Actually, those six apply in all of the strikes to the greatest extent that the body can handle or manifest. All I can say is.. wow. When I feel them, concentrating on them, and strike, my power feels full and developed. When I forget them, I'm strong but empty. They are critical. Combining them, standing there, I immediately felt my forearm unify with my arm, my arm unify with my shoulder, and my shoulder unify with my torso, all of which is driven efficiently and powerfully by my waist. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Now to just successfully manifest it in more than 10% of the rising sweeping strikes I perform and in the remaining 100% of the other umpteen (we could argue twenty-three, but that argument is hollow) Lion System strikes.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao