Friday, July 25, 2008

Changes in Turning

Life is sometimes tough on training, and sometimes it hands the opportunity to us on a silver platter. Today was a good day to me in terms of Life letting me arrange it to suit my burning desire to turn. First of all, it was very unlikely that there would be distractions. Second of all, it wasn't nearly as hot today as usual (a crisp 82 when I got started). Third of all, it was even vaguely overcast, so the sun wasn't likely to cook me, something helped even more by being able to wait until early evening to start.

So I got on the circle and I turned, having done only a few strikes and a few minutes of static postures earlier in the day (and twenty-some-odd minutes of qigong, but that's not part of this discussion). It started to rain. I turned. It stopped raining. I turned. The sun came out. I turned. It started to rain again. I turned. The rain stopped, and the sun came out again. I turned. The sun turned deep orange. I turned. The sun disappeared behind the school on top of the hill on my western horizon. I turned. Earth's shadow enveloped the atmosphere above me, turning it a deep color with shining clouds set in it. I stopped turning and got that weird feeling that my arms didn't belong to me again. I checked the clock. I had turned for one hundred and fifty minutes, approximately the first seventy of which were in the initial direction.

Now, I'm relaxing. I might do some strikes or forms, but I'm not sure how much power I possess. I'm very hungry, and my knees are a little wobbly from staying down so much (which it was hard to do during the last few minutes -- my inability to stay low was my main reason for stopping when I did). There's some vague soreness and tightness in my neck, and I kind of want to take a nap.

I don't know what tomorrow will be like yet, but I know it involves studying a lot of applications like most Saturdays tend to for me. I don't think I'll turn so long either. We shall see.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao