Monday, July 14, 2008

"慢慢慢! 是, 好." (Màn màn màn! Shì, hǎo. -- Slow slow slow! Yeah, good.)

I started today with an hour on the circle... well, sixty-four minutes, to be precise, before I changed sides. After I changed, I didn't have a lot left for the other side, and by the time I finished, I had hit 76:10 for the day. I'm a bit sore, but I feel very alert and alive as well. It's nice, but I don't know how much striking or forms-work my shoulders and shoulder-related muscles are going to be up for. I'm keeping them relaxed, but my arms are heavy. In fact, it's not so much my deltoids as the supporting muscles and the tendons in my shoulders that feel worn, and nothing in particular feels tight. I hope that means I'm doing it correctly.

The reason for the title of today's post is that I've noticed that I've slowed down on my circle, and admonishments to go slowly are commonplace (and in Mandarin) in workshops with "The Man." Although I'm not sure I'd get it, I can definitely picture myself hearing the title from He Jinbao seeing that I've taken that advice. [Disclaimer: I used an online Chinese-to-English dictionary for the Mandarin. I don't speak Chinese and might have it very wrong. I apologize if I've insulted your mother or something else.]

A while ago, I was working twelve revolutions per minute like clockwork. Then it was ten. Now, it's slightly slower than ten... almost nine. At the same time, my balance and breathing feel more steady, and my waist feels more engaged. I noticed while turning barefoot yesterday that both of my feet automatically grasp firmly into the ground every time I step -- something that's hard to tell while wearing shoes.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao