Friday, May 29, 2009

Month of Thunderstorms

Not that I have the power, but I dub the month-long period from roughly May 15 through June 15 in this part of the world the Month of Thunderstorms.

Every time I get a chance to do some rocking outdoor training, it seems a thunderstorm rolls in. This has been going on for about two weeks now, sometimes more than once per day. The weather reports are, of course, no use for planning because the nature of this part of the world at this time of year is that it generates massive numbers of isolated thunderstorms that seem to come up out of nowhere and that are incredibly dense across the landscape. Right now, in fact, yet another of these exciting little events (weather.com indicates a 10% chance of rain for this afternoon) chased me indoors right as I finished doing some chores and got myself ready to train. Sigh. I'll take it as a sign that I should be focusing more on strengthening postures for the time being. It's not that I particularly mind training in the rain. I don't really get into training in heavy rain, however, and under lightning or in crazy wind is right out. Since my dissertation stole my yi on training standing postures, though, I'll be thankful for what I have (though I was really looking forward to some turning).

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao