Thursday, June 4, 2009

Good news, bad news

I've had a few recent confirmations about some progress being made on my part with the dadao, which is good news. A corollary to that is that I'm now competent enough to tell that I'm sloppy as all hell with it (sloppy beats clumsy?). It's exciting after all this time to have some confirmation of improvement, though. I've kind of got this lasting mental block that I suck royally with the thing, and evidence that helps me change my mind on that point is always nice.

I'm also training (still hard) in adversity right now. My allergies are killing me, which is kind of a new thing for me. Usually, I barely have them, if at all. This year, however, they're much more aggravating. Furthermore, to kind of let the cat out of the bag, I broke my toe last Saturday, and it kind of hurts, particularly on movements that involve twirling around or stepping particularly sharply with that foot. It seems to be healing remarkably quickly, though, which is really good news because I'm headed to the London intensive here in just a few days (!). It should be a rocking learning opportunity, and I'm stoked, of course. Seeing as I got a little note that Jinbao wants to be "wowed," though, I'm feeling a little pressure. I don't even know if that kind of thing is possible. The "sloppy" that I identify with my dadao training probably isn't going to cut it for him, I'll bet. We shall see... we shall see.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao