Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Rotisserie

I've been turning these last few days for less time and doing it right around noon, when the National Weather Service indicates that we're lately having a UV Index of "10+ Extreme." For the past several days, I've been pulling thirty minute shifts in the roasting sun, but today I cut it back to 18 for the sake of my lily-white skin, which isn't adjusting as quickly as I'd have hoped. I get the distinct impression of being in a rotisserie from the exercise, though.

My striking practice is still going strong, averaging close to a thousand a day, I think, still emphasizing the shocking strikes, which are coming along, albeit slowly. In addition, I've been putting more time into the strikes from the various forms, doing them in single-action mode, and I'm finding some of them are a bit more weird than I had anticipated. I'm glad I decided on this course of practice this week. It's also, of course, enhancing my ability to practice the forms I'm taking those striking methods from, giving me an extra excuse to do those forms a few extra times.

The biggest change to my practice this past week, though, has been in standing practice. In addition to my 30+ minutes of zhan zhuang that I've been doing, I've started ramping up my static postures rather significantly. First, I'm doing the Lion representational posture every morning as I rise, though due to sleep still filling my body, I don't usually succeed in doing it for very long at that point. It's a very nice and effective wake-up tool, though. Second, I'm putting at least twenty to thirty minutes a day into the standing postures, and I'm really starting to enjoy the practice more and more.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao