Sunday, August 17, 2008

How's It Done?

So I've been working out pretty hard this past week, though probably not the hardest I ever have due to the myriad things life throws my way, particularly in August. This is partially because I consider myself pretty dedicated to these things, and it is partially in response to the fact that on our sahweet forum, some folks have been talking about their workouts and making yours truly feel a bit deficient. Here's what I got for the week, roughly.
  1. Static Postures (YSB only): About 90-100 minutes, total.
  2. Turning: About 3 hours 20 minutes, total.
  3. Striking: Between 5000 and 5500 strikes, total including Lion basics and those in the forms done in single-action, performed in static, box stepping, and three-stepping methods; just over 3 hours total time, approximately.
  4. Forms: Perhaps 80-100 repetitions of forms, primarily of three main ones but visiting some others to review them and keep the training fresh, probably 30-40 minutes total time.
  5. Applications: Around 3 hours actively studying applications with other human beings and just short of an hour visualizing doing it while resting, falling asleep, refusing to get out of bed in the morning, etc.
  6. Video reviewing: Approximately 30 minutes.
In addition, I've kept up with my zhan zhuang standing practice (non-YSB), doing around 4 hours and 30 minutes, total, this week. There was some seated meditation (around an hour if you put it all together) and a healthier than normal amount of stretching as well tossed in (a couple hours, maybe).

Here's the thing, indicating my title for the post: I honestly don't know how people are doing what they're claiming. Physically, I don't think I was strapped to my limits here. Certainly, in any one striking session, some of which approached 1500 strikes in one go (I don't rest between strikes when I train, typically), fatigue set in and required me to take a break to get back up to full-steam. One of my turning sessions was a proud 12 minutes following just over 1200 strikes done continuously with no break except for a 20-to-30-second walk to my circle followed by a 20-to-30-second "normalize my breathing" period before I began to turn. That was hard. Half an hour later, I turned for another twenty without too much difficulty, so resting made a big difference.

Still, I'm wondering how people are managing what they're posting about on the forum because I don't even have a job that I have to go to until tomorrow and still had a hard time pulling off half of it. Sure, there's work to be done, but just the act of fulfilling the role I lead in the household I live in (with family including teenagers!), noting my essentially non-existent social life, prevented me really from being able to do much more, what with the work I did have to do even without having to go to a special workplace for it. Admittedly, I've turned more in a week while keeping up other training and probably could have fit it in if I was willing to accept multiple sessions in a day, but it really took a lot to accomplish what I did for the week. It seems to compare favorably with what many of my compatriots are pulling in two or three days, though.

I just don't want to be falling behind. Maybe I should structure my life a bit more and fit it in that way. I am a bit free-form with my schedule, taking each moment and opportunity as it arises. What with work starting back in full measure tomorrow, a greater amount of disciplined structure could facilitate the training regimen, though it really hampers my enjoyment of my life.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao