Friday, March 9, 2012

Accountability in turning, February style

I've really got to set aside more time for this... the only posts I've had a chance to get to this year are boring ones about my turning goal. I'll try to create a couple of good content posts in the next week or two, so stay tuned! There's a fair amount worth talking about.

In the meantime, let me keep myself accountable and put up some details about how my efforts toward my turning goal played out in February.

February was an odd month. I started out weak and finished really, really strong, including almost two consecutive weeks of hour-plus days on the circle. Some of that has carried over into March, but I've been busy trying to get everything ready for an April 1 deadline on top of my usual workload.

Anyway, here are the numbers:
I turned all 29 days of February this year for a total of 1012 minutes (16.9 hours, or 16 hours and 52 minutes). Most of that, again, was in Phoenix (around 60%), although I ramped up Lion and saber turning particularly as well.

The expected amount that I was to turn in February (not accounting for January's underperformance) was 950.8 minutes, so I definitely exceeded that. Unfortunately, I didn't exceed it enough to have successfully put myself "on track" with my goal. At the end of the month, I had turned a total of 1893 minutes in 2012 out of a required 1968, so I upped my performance index from 87% to about 96%. I haven't entirely maintained this pace in March, but my goal is to break 100% by St. Patrick's Day (17 March).

The third of March this year marks the first day in which I didn't make time to turn. That means I turned for 62 consecutive days (10 minutes per day minimum) in 2012 before missing a day. Hopefully I'll be able to make it at least another 60 days before missing another one.

Keep your eyes open and check back over the next few weeks. I'll be posting some content articles about my training insights again, including an "ask Dr. Jimberly" piece from the comments on an old post!

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao