Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A little accountability: January's progress report on turning goal

For those of you that have been following along with my training, you know I'm doing a project this year involving turning the circle. Specifically, I'm aiming to get 200 hours on the circle in 2012. This post is a short report on how I did with the project through January. For those of you that aren't interested in my personal training, this post isn't probably worth much to you, so you can skip it.
Depending on how you want to look at it, my requirement for January was either 16 hours and 57 minutes of turning or 16 hours and 40 minutes of turning for the month, if I am assuming a simple "divide up the 200 hours evenly" by day or by month protocol of trying to meet the goal (I'm not--the actual model that I hope to achieve and measure my success by is a logarithmic model, but at the risk of losing the few readers I already have, I'm not going into the details!).

Neither of those monthly goals was met, but I did a decent job of it for the first month. According to my spreadsheet, I turned for 881 minutes (14 hours and 41 minutes) in January, which is 86.7% of what I should have done in a model where I divide up the whole goal by days and 88.1% if I divide up the goal by months. So... I get a B+ on that scale. Indeed, since I will be in better turning shape (and have more free time to turn during the summer months), I can expect that I'm probably ahead of schedule so far. Go me!

I can also proudly say that I turned every day in January. In fact, I've turned every single day of 2012 so far. That's another thing I'm pretty happy with. You can also calculate that I came quite near averaging a half an hour a day on the circle. That's actually about right: the vast majority of my turning sessions fell between 20 and 40 minutes in length.

By far, most of this turning has been in the Phoenix System's representative posture, 72.4% of it, in fact. There are a few reasons for this. One is that I'm focusing on developing in the Phoenix System right now. Another is that my shoulder is still injured to where turning in the Lion System is a brutal torture in one of the two directions (I'm almost starting to suspect a possibility of a torn labrum in there!). Indeed, a great deal of the rest of the time I spent on the circle in January 2012 was not in Lion but rather with the big saber: a bit more than an hour spread out across five workouts near the end of the month.

Here's to keeping on keeping on, still mostly in turning the Phoenix! Those of you out there that turn... how's your turning going in 2012?

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao