Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sometimes zero!

If you've followed this training journal much at all, then you know of my golden rule of training: "Never Zero." To quickly summarize this rule, there is never a day where there is no training performed, even if it's brief or only in the mind. Well... for the first time in a few years, despite doing some mighty difficult things, I had a day with zero.
The zero day was quite some time ago, back in January, probably right around when I last posted anything on the blog. I had taken a new job at the end of December and was quite busy with that, so posting fell to a lower priority. Training, however, was probably near an all-time high, adding in a tremendously challenging, ever-improving regimen of conditioning drilling on top of my martial drilling and study. Things were going great... and then I bumped my head.

To say that I "bumped" my head is an understatement. I fell from about five feet up, completely horizontal, and the back of my head found a concrete slab before anything else hit. My ears rung for about twenty-four hours, my head throbbed for about a week, and I had a variety of other interesting signs and symptoms come up from what has to be the most monumental traumatic brain injury of my life, e.g. I lost my senses of smell and taste completely for a few days, and now, at six weeks after the injury, those two senses are still pretty messed up.

Well, the day after I hit my head, I had my first-in-a-very-long-time "zero day." I quite honestly can say that I did not train that day at all, although I did attempt it a little bit. Over the following week, almost the only training I really got in was some hand strengthening and a little bit of gentle circle turning. It was a pretty bad week.

So... sometimes you have a zero day. I guess it happens.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao