Friday, March 25, 2011

Beast Mode -- a much-needed rest and hitting it hard again

Apparently, rest days are important, even during Beast Mode training. Yesterday's training consisted only of a half an hour of turning, mostly Phoenix with some Lion, and a half an hour of forms at medium pace and power, kind of like amplified learning speed. Yesterday's conditioning was only a grip-training routine and 60 squat thrusts. Done, and done, because apparently so was my body. Today, however, I picked it back up.
I started off today by splitting an hour between standing strengthening, the usual Lion, Lion Shocking, Phoenix, and Phoenix Extending, and turning, half Lion and half Phoenix again. I probably should get out of that habit and turn one session solid in one animal one day and solid in the other animal the next, or run several-days-long series of turning in only one animal. For now, this method is keeping me engaged with turning practice, though, so I'm not complaining about it.

This afternoon, between my two sessions, I drilled the four Phoenix forms that are to be studied during the second week in Huairou at the Beijing Intensive this year: turning the back extending, moving with the force chopping, reversing the body chopping, and enfolding shocking, following the same protocol I've been using: five minutes on, 1 minute rest (using my GymBoss to keep the pace rather mercilessly), repeat twice per form, and then take a short break as needed. After the four forms, I drilled enfolding chopping because I got confused when I was learning the forms and accidentally learned this extra fifth one, but I only did it once for five minutes. Then I did another session, rested briefly, and did my conditioning workout, which I just finished a few minutes ago: an absolutely grueling 54 minutes of constant unpleasantness.

If you recall the so-called Real Ultimate Power Workout I did a couple of times since Beast Mode started, it was a variation on that workout that I dubbed "Real Ultimate Power Workout Plus!" It was essentially the same with a few variations:
Part 1 -- Repeat the following three times as quickly as possible:
  1. Deep squats, this time holding a 30 lb (13.6 kg) dumbbell between my legs -- 50 repetitions at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  2. Bodyweight rows -- 12 repetitions at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  3. Pushups with feet elevated on a chair -- 20 repetitions at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  4. Knee-hug situps -- 15 repetitions at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  5. Side step-ups onto a chair [One foot on the chair, one on the floor, turned sideways to the chair; power up so the leg on the chair is straight] holding 50 lb (22.7 kg) -- 10 repetitions on each leg at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  6. Pullups, using changing grips -- 5 repetitions at max pace. No rest before the next exercise.
  7. Mini-HIIT alternating 10 seconds of march in place followed by 30 seconds of hard action at max capacity, using the following three exercises in the given order: (a) running high knees, (b) jump lunges -- step out into a lunge and then jump, staying as low as possible, to switch sides, and (c) jumping jacks.
Part 2 -- Repeat the following three times as quickly as possible
  1. Mini-SuperTabata: four rounds of 5 seconds dead rest and 15 seconds of full action alternating burpees and mountain climbers.
  2. Bicep curl -- 10 repetitions -- followed by same hand shoulder press -- 10 repetitions -- on each arm all while in a deep squatting stance, using a 30 lb (13.6 kg) dumbbell.
Part 3 -- Repeat Part 1 three more times.
Part 4 -- Try not to throw up. Try hard. Keep on trying.

That was pretty hard. I'm off to stretch (which I've been doing almost daily since about a week before Beast Mode began, but only for about 10-15 minutes a day).

Next time, I'll try to post about the "Heavy Weapons Training" I've been doing and forgetting to include on my Beast Mode posts, forgetting because I never really connect it with anything else that I do. I do it every third day.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao