Thursday, February 25, 2010

I just can't get into MMA but keep feeling like I should... wtf?

I feel like I should be into MMA (mixed martial arts). After all, I fit the demographics pretty well, and worse, I feel tremendous passive social pressure to be into it.

I just don't get into it.

Edited note: This was, at one time, a lengthy and detailed account of what I do get and don't get, do like and don't like, about MMA. After posting it, I went and turned for about an hour, and then I decided it didn't really promote Yin Style Baguazhang in any way. Thus, I've removed the vast majority of the post. Feel free to contact me if you want my opinions, but I'm not making them overtly public.

3 comments:

Myles said...

I don't really get into it either Jim. I've got a few friend than are way into it but guess what? they don't train martial arts or any such combo. I think it's more of a spectator sport, plus there are rules and real life fighting has no rules.

Jim said...

I had a lot of that kind of thing in the original article, Myles, except that I don't really have a problem with it being a sport. I mean, whatever. I also don't really have any interest in watching real fights.

I think it's mostly the hype of it, that and it seems to be becoming more and more like WWE except that they're really hitting each other, meaning specifically more like WWE in how it's mass marketed and sold.

Still, that wasn't really what I had to say, but it's kind of what I think about it as a sport. Football is huge like that and arguably far more pointless, and I could care less about that too (and I get some social pressure to be into it but don't feel as odd about my dislike of it because I don't engage in a related-to-football activity).

Thanks for your opinion, though, definitely!

Ray said...

I think the most important factor here is how do you feel about the sport. If you like it then you should go for it.

I personal do not like hurting other people and do not like to getting hurt needlessly either. Therefor, MMA fighter is not for me. I practice YSB because I like the art, its training, and its methodology.

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao