Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tributing Still

I did the 6:30 thing a few times, but by no means every day. Mostly, I would focus on daoyin and standing exercises that early in the morning, but it always kind of devolved into stretching and meditating. I have been managing pretty solid workouts through the afternoons, however, and given that my time's been a little crushed by my desire to finish my dissertation soon, I've done a fairly decent job at starting to learn some of the strikes from other animal systems, though I'm nowhere near where I had hoped to be by this time. My dissertation, however, is in the "last lap" phase.. all written, proofed through, and awaiting the next (final?) layer of corrections and editions from the adviser. With so little as a temporary check mark from him, I should be able to ramp up the intensity to something more like "intense" than this simmer phase I'm caught in, just as the weather turns nice. I have a grim feeling, though, about the upcoming defense and the amount of preparatory work that might be required.

I've caved, though, feeling like I'm only getting marginally stronger with the fake saber I have. I've increased the protein in my diet and regularity of my workouts with it, to the sad exclusion of other parts of my training, but the development seems slower than I'd hope for. Now I alternate exercises with the saber with exercises with a weight, adapted from full-body kettlebell workouts that I've seen other people do pretty well with. Primarily, I need to strengthen my back and shoulders, which have always been pretty weak for me. As long as I stay on it, I seem to make progress. Maybe I'm coming further than I think I am, but that blade is, as they say, a "real burner."

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao