Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Busy, but still working

Life and work conspire against me sometimes, it seems, and my training has been about half as slack as my posting since my first. I managed to get a half an hour turning the day after my hour, but I've struggled to find the ten minutes each day since that I put in on my circle. I keep reminding myself that some is better than none, but on the other hand, I keep seeing a remembered image of Matt Bild's face, thrilled with our apparent hard work last fall, reminding us to circle "for an hour a day, right?" Math, sometimes, just takes too much time to leave an hour a day for the circle... if I want to eat (and I do... I'm skinny enough as it is).

My triumph today was mustering the will to get up earlier than usual and run through all of the static postures that I know, though I put only about forty-five seconds into each side of each one. Still, since I know thirteen and did one twice, that adds up to over twenty minutes in an uncomfortable squatting position. I think I could really feel my qi firing up through the exercise, and so I followed it with ten minutes of zhan zhuang of the more traditional type. [Zhan zhuang technically means standing-still practice, for a rough translation, and so the bagua static postures count as one such exercise, but I keep them separate, using 'zhan zhuang' to mean static, non-bagua standing such as the wuji posture or those other less wide, less deep positions that are usually thought of as static qigong]. After that, a short meditation session really worked well to start my day off right.

Since, I've done a few strikes and a few more static postures, but I've also burned up half of my day without doing any math, which is almost entirely unacceptable this month due to my upcoming specialty exam. Perhaps I'll find time for more training later, but for now, I must explore the algebraic musings of Morgan Ward and Louis Comtet for a few hours. Yay.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao