Sunday, April 20, 2008

April's Impediments, Mark III

April had yet another impediment to throw my way and disrupt my training, or at least it would have if I hadn't been averaging fifteen-hour work days for the last week: allergies. Generally, I don't have them. For one week, usually in April, however, I firmly believe I'm getting the flu or something and am essentially a wreck, feeling heavy brain fog and other symptoms of being sick from what I can only surmise is a fairly severe histamine reaction to something that blooms mid-April each year. The thing is, I was never allergic to anything, so far as I know or can remember, until about five or six years ago. Thus, I am forced to conclude that we've idiotically imported some kind of ornamental plant and put it all over the region so we can enjoy flowers for about four days a year and make lots of people feel bad for the whole time.

Due to the excess in work, I've found very little time to train in the last week. I've put forth a little bit of body-weight type workouts, but mostly just from here to the kitchen and back when I go to get a drink or make tea or some such. The bear walk position, which I don't think is typical of bagua, is my weapon of choice. Yesterday, though, I hit a point in preparing my exam presentation where I felt confident to take time off and share applications with Bradley. We did so for a few hours and integrated a lot of body-weight exercising into our routine, being almost weekend-backyard-gymnasts, though looking mostly badly doing it. I'm sore as holy hell today, though, primarily from trying to lift myself while keeping my legs extended in front of me and from climbing arm over arm up the limbs of one of my old and strong dogwoods, doing pullups on the more level part of the branch near the top when we got there.

Today, despite the soreness, I turned for twelve agonizing minutes. The sad part is that I couldn't figure out for the first six or seven why on earth it was so painful. Then I remembered that I'm abnormally sore and didn't feel like quite as much of a puss. After a quick review of the "magic eight" forms, I came back in to my real, overwhelming life. Tonight there will be little or no more training, but since it's all grading I have to do, I'll probably be squatting while I do it. Awesome.

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao