Friday, April 22, 2011

Ask Dr. Jimberly: Starting your own Yin Style Baguazhang study group

As promised about ten days ago or so, I would get around to writing a second installment to an "Ask Dr. Jimberly" post, this time addressing the question of how to go about starting a study group for Yin Style Baguazhang in your neck of the woods. Here's the link to the original post, answering "Why the Lion System?" for those that are interested. Of course, these questions are overlapping to some degree, as I indicated in that earlier response. For reference, here is the text of the email that I was answering again:
I started with the lion dvd's several years back as that is what was recommended by ATS, but I am far more interested and physically inclined to the dragon system, so that's been my focus for the last year and a half or so. Also, I am trying to start up a study group in my area - what do I need to do to make such a group recognized by the YSB association at large?
In this post, I'm addressing only the part of this email indicated in italics, as the rest has been dealt with previously.


For creating your own study group, if you want to get recognized, then you have to pay your dues, so to speak.

Basically, there are a few things that have to happen before they'll recognize you officially:

  1. You have to want it badly enough to suck up the rest of this list.
  2. You have to have met He Jinbao (and Matt Bild) and proven to them your character for training, meaning your willingness to work and train hard. This is best accomplished at a workshop or intensive, even if you have to travel to make it happen. I'm part of the core of the Knoxville, TN, group, one of the more recently recognized, and I/we had to travel to New England for three seminars in three consecutive years before we got the "welcome aboard" stamp -- we just weren't good enough before that. The Florida group (St. Petersburg), I understand, was a bit quicker than we were. To make a long story short: You have to go to some of the workshops where they already are and put out high quality effort at them. You don't have to be awesome, but you have to work hard, try hard, and show honest intention to get better. Then, when they see you again, you need to have improved. This is the absolute most important aspect of the process. [Tip: Some practitioners find it very useful to set aside a certain amount out of every paycheck or a certain amount at other regular or irregular intervals into their training fund/account. Setting up this kind of system makes it far more likely that you'll be able to afford training at a seminar or intensive when they come. You might have to save for two years to get to Beijing, but you could make it happen that way.]
  3. You'll want to start organizing a study group, even if it's informal. Obviously, you can't be recognized as a group if you don't have a group. Find some like-minded folks to study the videos with you and make the best of it together. Try to attend workshops as a group, if possible. Having several people is kind of a minimum requirement, but it isn't going to ensure anything.
  4. Train hard and often, daily, in fact. You have got to make improvements to be considered serious and capable of teaching the art. That requires training and lots of it. You have also got to take the corrections that He Jinbao gives you very seriously and try to make real improvements on those areas. The officially recognized study groups are deemed those that are serious enough to be officially recognized. They are not casual entities, at least not about Yin Style training.
  5. Try to arrange visits to existing groups even outside of seminar times. The more access to direct instruction that you can get, the better you'll get. This will translate into making improvements that are obvious, and it will allow you to network with those of us who have already made it happen, so we'll be able to assess you better and put in any good words that you earn and deserve. There are groups in many parts of the U.S. (complete U.S. list, here), and most folks are within several hours of one. All of the groups I'm aware of would be happy, with sufficient notice, to arrange something for someone that is serious about studying, training, and progressing in the art, so get the contacts and set something up. Then again, flights are about the same almost anywhere, so Ann Arbor is kind of the hub at the moment to consider. For my European comrades, I'd have to recommend a trip to London or Stockholm. Others of you out there, you might want to pool your resources into getting videos and then to an intensive in London or Beijing. Be aware that many intensives and workshops now have basic prerequisites, and so you should look into those on the Yin Style Baguazhang homepage or by contacting the seminar organizers and then equip yourself with the proper background materials so you don't waste everyone's time.
  6. I'm going to tell you this again because it's so important: get to workshops, seminars, or intensives where you can train directly under He Jinbao. This cannot be understated in importance for the process of getting recognized (or even for getting your Yin Style Baguazhang training going properly).
Good luck to you with that! We (in Knoxville) did it blind, so we know it's possible even without help like this. These suggestions should hopefully make it all the quicker and smoother for you if you take them to heart!

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Quite a bit of food for thought. Mostly it serves to impress upon me the level of seriousness I have yet to consistently maintain if I intend to be serious about YSB. I'm not a leader or an organizer, and I suppose I was just waiting for someone else to come along, form a group and give me the motivation I need. A guy named Ryan Bergsma used to facilitate a group here in Bellingham, but it no longer meets and he hasn't responded to any form of contact.

It increasingly seems that if I want there to be a serious and dedicated yin style group in this neck of the woods, then I'm going to have to be the one to do it. Which means, first and foremost, that I need to get serious about my own practice. So I'll have to seriously look into making it to the various workshops and seminars around the country, and make a point of brushing up on all of the basics beforehand.

Unfortunately, that still leaves the problem of finding people in the area with whom to start even an informal group. If you have any tips in that regard, I'd be much obliged, since as I've already said, I'm no organizer.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind me picking your brain so often. You do seem to be one of the more open and accessible yin style practitioners active in this country. And it seems I need all the help I can get. At this rate, it will be quite a while until I'm even at a comparable level as you, in terms of dedication and accomplishment.

Jim said...

Yeah, Ryan, the reality is that all of the groups that exist are around because some folks decided eventually to suck it up and make it happen for themselves. It isn't necessarily easy, and we do it in Knoxville at a rather large expense in terms of our time and actually lose some, but not tons, of money on it. It's just how that goes, at least here and now. Make your training solid, and become the hub if you want to be one. This art needs dedicated individuals that train hard and ones that are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to help the art gain notoriety and to grow.

For recruiting members, you can't be shy, although keep in mind that we're not legendary at it. I'd love to double or triple the size of our group, but I've never been much of a recruiter. What seems to work best for us in terms of recruitment is to openly talk about it, sharing your interest with others, and if those folks seem interested in what you're doing, to invite them to come work out with you. Don't make false claims about it being a "class" or whatever; just get them on-board with the idea that it's a worthwhile thing to spend some time doing and that it's better to train together.

The folks in our group that have been the most effective recruiters for us are unequivocally college students, save for one well-networked fellow in the commercial martial arts world who is too overwhelmed with life to be active with us at present. If you are or can recruit any college-aged people, they tend to talk about it and bring their friends. Be aware, though, that new people tend not to like hard work too much for the most part, and so the attrition rate is pretty substantial.

It seems that a website is somewhat helpful too, particularly if you know how to metatag it so that it shows up high in searches for local martial arts. Keep in mind, however, that most folks haven't heard of baguazhang and that many in the US (particularly here in the South for us) have a negative impression of Chinese martial arts because of all of the wishy-washy "kung fu" that floats around out there. Training hard is essential to overcoming that stigma for YSB.

So far as getting better goes, don't measure it in terms of me or others. I'm not even that great a stick to use! Measure against yourself. How have you improved over time? That's the most important aspect to be focusing on.

Ryan said...

In my experience, college students are a mixed blessing. Until recently I was one myself, and I still live practically next door to the university. It's true that I've had some small success in the past with getting people interested, but their other commitments invariably take priority. And the fact is, many of them tend to leave when their term is up, which makes holding a cohesive group together difficult. But, difficult is relative, and I realize I could have been much more pro-active. I'll give the college another try, see if I can find a free space on campus and get word out. Ultimately, there really is no better place to advertise than on a college campus. And hey, even if some folks do join for a time and then leave, the best I can do is make sure they take positive bagua experiences with them wherever they go, right?

Jim said...

That's true, Ryan: college students are a mixed blessing for exactly the reasons you've given. I think I had originally had something like that in my comment, but then the internet ate it when I attempted to post. Oh well, thanks for bringing that up!

So far as getting a location goes, for us it has proven to be the hardest part and a hugely influential one. Every time we have an indoor location, our group slowly swells to a respectable size, and every time that location decides that it's time for us to move on (because free time is limited time), we return to the park and to dwindling numbers. It's a real challenge.

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao