Monday, December 22, 2008

Rising Yang

Yesterday was the winter solstice, the most yin day of the year. That means today is the day when yang begins to arise again. Our small group just got together and did some decent training to celebrate... well, actually because it's Monday, the day we usually get together to train. Rising yang or not, it was cold, which was in some ways nice and in others not so nice.

Here in the nearly deep South, we don't see many days a year that are below freezing, even for the low temperature. Tonight, however, it was quite a bit below freezing. Actually, it was 23 F while we were training in our little outdoor pavilion, enjoying the sight of the mighty warrior Orion in the (roughly) Southern sky while we stood and practiced. I would love to believe that I felt the rising yang energy of the world while I was turning there (with four shirts on), but I didn't. It was cold. Still, we put forth a decent effort in the pillars and had an all-around good night, though not as physically demanding a workout as we pulled together on Saturday afternoon, when it was quite a bit warmer (I was wearing one shirt... with short sleeves) and wetter. The weather here is good for teaching us about changes like that: warm and wet on Saturday, bitter and frozen on Monday. Still, there was training.

As much as I'm enjoying learning about my tolerance and ability to adapt to the wintry weather, I must say that today's promise of another cycle of the year, yang rising more to my liking, is welcomed. Working up the will to train hard this time of year is more of a challenge, and my work requirements increase while the available daylight decreases. As spring blooms and invigorating warmth returns, workouts become more accessible, frequently more thorough and demanding, and much sweatier. Still, there are two or three hard months of winter training ahead, and due to seasonal inertia, the coldest is most likely yet to come. On the other hand, just the thought that today had a few more seconds of daylight than yesterday is already warming me up.

Perhaps, if I think about it long enough, I can find the deep connection between the lessons of the solstices and the changes of the year and the changes that form the foundation of baguazhang. I don't believe contemplation alone is going to be sufficient, though. Getting out in the weather, cold and usually wet now and, at another time, hot and desperately humid and training those changes, one strike to the next, one step before the other, each tiny aspect of gradual transformation, will teach me more properly. I call to everyone training in this art and everyone that wants to learn from its lessons, then, to get outside in whatever you're presented with and embrace the change and see what it can teach you. Then, on days like today, come in and enjoy a nice cup of hot cocoa when you're done!

No comments:

"The most important thing when studying the martial arts is not to be lazy. These skills are not easily attained. For them, one must endure a lot of suffering." -He Jinbao